Who are the Knights & Daughters of Tabor?
Knights and Daughters of Tabor was founded by Moses Dickson in 1872 as one of many ‘mutual aid’ organizations to help the African American community. The fraternal organization provided help to widows, established schools and ‘old folk’ homes with units throughout the United States. The strongest and most viable units were in the south. Knights & Daughters of Tabor, Mississippi Jurisdiction, moved to Mound Bayou, Mississippi in the late 1920s and continued expansion of its benevolent services with the most outstanding the opening and operation of Taborian Hospital in Mound Bayou in 1942. The Knights & Daughters of Tabor membership of about 40,000 began decline in the 1970s and the closing of the Taborian Hospital in 1983 drastically dropped the membership.
In 2007, Knights & Daughters of Tabor realigned and in the customary benevolent spirit set as its goal to support the enlivening the City of Mound Bayou to return as a haven for culture, history and example of the African American community.